Monday, January 02, 2006

dinner experience

Yesterday when we were out to buy my new ab machine and buy Greg a camera we decided to get dinner while we were out. Our choice was at a local Taco Bell. Greg and Anna like to pick up illegal sign on the side of the road and take them home. Anna has a ball "cleaning" up the streets with her dad. You know what signs I am talking about...the 1-555-got-junk....we buy houses....we buy cars.....etc...these are all illegal signs and they make out neighborhood look trashy. Anyways, I stayed in the car while they were cleaning up the streets. We were still the the parking lot after eating dinner and Greg found a bag of dope on the ground. He said that it looked like it was a good amount...maybe about $100 street value of dope. I was in shock and angry....what if a child picked that up off the ground when they stop to get dinner. The area that this happened in use to be a nice area but now it is so trashy. We live pretty close to the city and it seems like as each year passes it just gets worse.

The area we were in yesterday is near where my old job at the home improvement store was. They always wanted us to park at the end of the lot but I never would. One of the places that they wanted us to park was right next to the sheds. No thank you! The homeless guys would sneak in to the sheds at night and leave in the morning. They have been known to harass the women who work there and they have also stolen form the cars.

Not long ago someone nail the doors shut on the shed while they were in there so they could not get out and they called the cops on them. I think that has slowed down some of the theft but I am not to sure.

The crazy part is that we live about 3 miles from there but our neighborhood is so quiet and you hardly ever see the cops around here because it is just such a quiet place to live....but 3 mile away....forget it!

I am very open with my daughter and she is aware of drugs, what they are, and what they can do to you. We watch cops with her and she sees how stupid people look and act when it comes to drugs. I am glad that she knows this and it makes it easier to answer her questions and she is more open with us about drugs. Some people may not agree with the way we handle this but at lease I know that she is aware and I feel confident that if she saw that on the ground that she would not have picked it up.

I never had the "don't do drugs" talk with my parents. James was getting high in front of me and I had not clue....I don't want Anna to be as naive as I was. It was not a good thing for me. I did not really understand about the different drugs and what affects that they have until I was stripping and had been exposed to it (with James) for a few years. I have never used drugs. When I danced I drank a lot....but never touched anything else. Close to when I stopped dancing I tried some valium but that is as far as it has gone. To this day I will not touch anything else I am scared to death of drugs. I could not afford it anyways.

How so you handle talking about drugs to your children?

6 Comments:

Blogger J&J's Mom said...

Hey there!! I wondered where you went! Why are you hiding? Glad you came by regardless so I can come visit again;0) Happy New Year Dawn girl!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

j&j's mom~
I thought that I sent a comment your way to let you know that I changed my address. Sorry if you did not get it sooner. I have some family drama going on and that is why I made the change.

4:39 PM  
Blogger MilkMaid said...

Hi Dawn...It's my opinion to be as open as possible with the kids. There are no guarantees that it will work, my oldest is proof.

His Uncle had a terrible addiction with heroin and other drugs and another Uncle lost his entire life and family to crack. I would get in all kinds of trouble with family when I would openly tell my oldestest WHY Uncle Rick was in the hospital again or WHY he was living on the street or jail..etc. My MIL thought it was wrong as did MilkMan, to tell him. If anything good could come out of it, I wanted the lesson to be in living color, what happens.

My Big Kid has done his share, nothing by any means like his Uncles, but he's messed with them. And I am still open with him today, I never sugar coat it or accept his lies, I always call him on it. We've had some bad fights too.

I think you are doing the right thing, communication is good.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

milkmaid~
I agree, at least then I know that she has had all the information and knows the downfall to using drugs. Thanks for your opinion.

7:37 PM  
Blogger MOM IS NUTZ said...

We are very open about how stupid drugs make people. And...if you screw up with them? You've just become an example to my kidz...mainly Nicklaus right now, he's 10, Noni's 4 and Nathan is 2. Unfortunately, we've had one family member, one close friend's son and a neighbor that have all become examples of the danger and ignorance of drugs. The neighbor died, the 2 others? Jail...

1:11 AM  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

damn! if I had found $100 worth of weed on the ground, I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven! I was brought up around weed. Both of my parents smoked it and around the time I turned 18 I started to smoke it. I still smoke it 1-2 times a week. I don't have any problems with it. It never screwed up my life or anything - hell, I'm doing better than most people I know!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home