Monday, May 15, 2006

6th floor

My mom is still in the hospital and we have this running joke that she will be moved to the 6th floor when she is ready to die. See the last time my mom was in the hospital she was told that her roommate was going to be moved to the 6th floor so her family could have more room. They were really moving the woman so she could die in a room surrounded by friends and family and not a roommate. The woman was 97 years old and ready to let go...it was her time.

When my mom told me this I told her that she will know if she is in trouble because the doctors will move her to the 6th floor. At the time she was on the second floor. Since we had that talk she was released from the hospital and is back now. This time she is on the 3rd floor...she is moving up. This is our "joke" she does not have many lives left.

On a real note, I was a good daughter and called her in the hospital to wish her a "happy mothers day".....no I love you's were said but I was nice. She in not doing well...in December she was in the hospital with 3 heart attacks....I am not sure what has happened from December till April but I can tell you that in the last week and a half she has been in the hospital twice....and they have been overnite stays. She has fluid around her heart and lungs and is having problem walking without becoming short of breath. She also has diabetes. I am really concerned with the health problems in my family and I need to take better care of myself. My grandfather had high blood pressure and died from a heart attack and my grandmother had breast cancer and so did her mother. I feel like I am doomed.

My mother is taking this well....she does not want to worry about the diabetes..just one thing at a time. She is not really changing her eating habits. She has always been one to have lots of salt and greasy foods. That will never change and we are all aware of that. I guess we should worry if the next time they take her to the 4th floor..........

3 Comments:

Blogger Good Riddance said...

I like the running joke that you all have. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I understand worrying about yourself because my grandfather died of a heart attack and he had diabetes and my grandmother of bone cancer. Fortunately, my mother is fine now, but she's not 50 yet. Hopefully, she will live a long life. I worry about myself with my families health history, but the only thing that we can do is to watch what we eat and exercise and think positive thoughts.

1:03 PM  
Blogger JaG said...

Sorry to hear about your mom.

9:43 AM  
Blogger cosmopolgirl said...

So sorry to hear about your mom!
Hey happy belated birthday too!!

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home